Monday, January 28, 2008

Class Post for Discussion

What superstitions or strong beliefs do you have about writing and writing technologies?

This brings me back to my earlier post when I stated that I believe that perhaps the art of writing will be extinct in years to come. I believe it is so important to try and continue writing even in the midst of this technological age. Writing individualizes us. It's an art that cannot be duplicated. Well, it can, but that's due to forgery.

I've heard in reports that we can tell what kind of person we are by the way each individual letter is formed in our writing. If we were to lose that, it would be very unfortunate.

New writing technologies such as keyboards and texting on cell phones are very helpful, but I would not want to see them completely take over. It would be so odd to never see a spiral notebook or an ink pen in the stores anymore.

I understand that children of this day-in-age need to know from a very early age how to operate a computer in order to do schoolwork, but can you imagine not having those silly writing projects from elementary school with the juvenile handwriting? This is a part of childhood and fond memories that would likely be lost in the new age of digital text. It would be very difficult to see the individual in a digitalized form.

I guess my biggest problem with losing the art of handwriting is the fear of losing the self behind the pen.

No comments: