Monday, February 11, 2008

Layout - John Ashbery Poem

I chose the poem "Some Trees" by John Ashbery. When I was deciding what to do with the poem, we were discussing as a class why poems are formatted the way that they are. For example, why the lines are broken up and what effect does this have. This influenced my spacing of the poem. At first, I had each stanza kept the same way, but chaotically arranged on the paper. I also wanted to accent certain words of the poem; words that I thought were important or words that I thought could be personified by the use of different fonts. Many of these words were verbs and adjectives. I went through changing the fonts of these words that I wanted to bring special attention to. Then, I started reading over the poem to try and find the full meaning of it. I found it somewhat difficult to read because of the awkward (it seemed awkward to me) divides in the lines. I decided that I would try and separate the lines by punctuation. Whenever there was a punctuation, I started a new line. The margins of these lines varied, as well. I tried to be artistic with it. I found that even though I broke up the lines much more than Ashbery did, it was easier to read for me and flowed better in my mind. In the readings, I read that the way a piece is formatted can really change the way it is read. I was tired of seeing the typical poetry layout so I created a different one to suit the way I needed to read poetry in order to understand it.

No comments: