Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Response to Writing Machines

When I first saw my Writing Machines book, I was slightly upset. I knew I had gotten the book used, but I did not appreciate that somebody had written all over the sides of the paper. Then, I noticed that it was not somebody trying to mark up a book with a Sharpie, but it was actually printed on the book! I knew from there that this would be a very different book than I was used to reading.

I opened the book to begin reading and I saw that the font was getting larger throughout the page and then decreasing in size. It was as if an invisible magnifying glass was on the page highlighting the important parts the author wanted to emphasize. This sort of use of materials and presentation of the text ties right in with the author’s discussion of how images strengthen the written word. I know that the increase in font size is not really an image, it does strengthen the words and the points the author is trying to make because it attracts the reader’s eyes. In regards to images strengthening the written word, it reminded me of the old phrase, “A picture is worth a thousand words.”

Another point in the reading that I found interesting was about literary critics. In the book it stated something about how literary critics think that verbal expression is more real than printed text. This is surprising to me because in earlier classes we discussed that written word is considered more permanent and professional than verbal expression. However, I believe that verbal communication has more of an impromptu air about it, so I guess there is no time to review what one is saying allowing it to be more “real”.

Something that I was confused about when I read it was about how some printed text or written word can bring the machinery that created it. Does this mean that if you read a newspaper, one can picture the huge printing apparatus that spits out thousands of newspapers? I suppose that when reading something like a newspaper, one can picture that the reading material is mass produced as opposed to a personal letter that only one person might read. This can put into view the purpose of the text that one is reading.

Another point mentioned by the author that I found interesting was about “hypertext”. It was said in the book that hypertext is printed text, or virtual text, that can be accessed through many different pathways. Links on the internet, Google searches, a website with the text are all different ways that one piece of text can be accessed. This made me think how easily people can access text. My mind immediately went to accessing newspaper articles from around the world from websites from the comfort of your home computer. The New York Times are no longer just for the people of New York. Hypertext allows the easy transfer of information that can span thousands of miles.

In the section about House of Leaves, I was surprised to find that it was advertised as a typical “haunted house story” so people would buy the book, even though there was much more to the book. It reminded me of movie trailers that you watch and then when you finally see the movie, it is completely different than the tone of the trailer. I suppose even books sometimes have to be sold short in order to get the public to recognize it.

No comments: