Tuesday, May 6, 2008

PAPER, LETTERPRESS, BOOK ARTS, April 2: Lindsey Hawk, Matt Kiehl

I thought this presentation was VERY informative. It was very intellectually stimulating and I truly believed that I was being presented this information by experts. Because Lindsay is an artist herself, I really enjoyed hearing her personal opinions that came from an artist's point of view. I also enjoyed listening to the information that Matt provided about the history and beginnings of book arts. I also loved the examples that they showed. It showed a lot of different facets of book arts and how many ways one art can be achieved. It gave me a lot of inspiration for my own book arts project. The presentation really gave me an idea of how the media used to create the artist’s book really intensifies the message that the book is trying to convey.

I also thought it was interesting and really helpful to see Lindsay’s personal collection of zines. They were quirky and fun to look at. I also thought that the class discussion about zines was very interesting to listen to. I do not think that zines will ever be looked at as a reputable source of information, but they will be looked at with interest and an artistic mind.

No comments: