Tuesday, May 6, 2008

UNCREATIVE WRITING, April 7: Abbey Verrillo and Scott Douglas

The presentation about uncreative writing was informative and interesting to listen to, but it kind of freaked me out because of the youtube videos of the uncreative writer, Kenneth Goldsmith. He was absolutely crazy. I suppose anybody who takes uncreative writing as seriously as he does would be a little crazy. The whole topic of uncreative writing is an anomaly to me. First, it’s uncreative because the writer is just writing down every detail of every action that the writer’s body goes through during one day, but then the idea of writing all of this information down is very creative to me. I do not see where we can have uncreative writing without creativity. The presentation did well to ask that question and the class discussion was very intellectually stimulating. Abbey and Scott were very informative and really knew their stuff on uncreative writing. I very much enjoyed the presentation, even thought I might not thoroughly understand the topic. However, this is not due to their lack of information on the topic, this is solely due to the fact that I am unable to completely wrap my head around uncreative writing. I understand the method, but I do not understand how this writing is fully uncreative.

No comments: